Thursday 20 March 2014

Chocolate Orange Bread and Butter Pudding

Since signing up for The Guardians Live Better Campaign I have been watching what gets thrown and what can be used.
 
I hate throwing food out at the best of time but now I am even worse!
 
When I found some homemade fruit loaf which was getting past its best and a brioche roll that was going stale I knew exactly how I would use it up.
 
No longer fresh but too good to throw away!
 
I made Bread and butter pudding!
 
However I wanted to make one that was a little bit different from the traditional pudding.
 
This is what I did...
 
Chocolate Orange Bread and Butter Pudding
 
Ingredients
 
Bread (as much or as little as you have got, I had about 10 slices of fruit loaf and brioche)
Butter
Orange marmalade
400mls milk
2 eggs at room temperature
25g caster sugar
100g chocolate
 
Method
 
1 - Spread butter on one side of the slices of bread
 
2 - Spread marmalade over the buttered slices of bread
 
3 - Layer the slices, butter and marmalade side up in an oven proof dish and leave on one side and prepare the chocolate custard
 
4 - Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water
 
4 - Place the milk in a pan and heat to just below boiling point
 
5 - Whisk the eggs with the caster sugar
 
6 - Remove the milk from the heat and stir in the eggs and sugar mix
 
7 - Stir in the melted chocolate
 
8 - Gently pour the chocolate custard over the bread allowing the bread to soak up the custard
 
9 - Leave for half an hour to soak up more custard and add extra as needed (depending on the amount of bread you have used you may not need all of the custard made)
 
10 - While the pudding is standing pre heat the oven 180C
 
11 - Spoon on some extra marmalade onto the top of the pudding and place in the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes
 
This pudding is delicious served hot with ice cream, fresh cream or custard. It is also just as good the following day cold and a great way to use up and enjoy what otherwise would have been thrown in the bin.
 

Chocolate Orange Bread and Butter Pudding
 


32 comments:

  1. I hate throwing food away and we will always try and use up everything - although occasionally this has been known to make more stuff to use up! Love your idea of a bread and butter pud as bread is one of the few things that does get binned occasionally in our house. #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this looks absolutely amazing. Did you just come up with the recipe yourself? I am super impressed. It's made me pretty hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *DROOOOOL* This sounds absolutely delicious!
    Perfect way to use up leftovers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good and not hard to make at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds delicious. Must put it on my to try list

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have two words - OMG YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bread and butter pudding, yours look so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bread and butter pudding its so nice .x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bread and butter pudding is so yummy and so versatile, I don't know why more people don't try flavour variations, you've got me thinking about what I could do now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love the look of that, I made a chocolate and orange one recently with aplain custard and choc pieces, I like the idea of a chocolate custard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish I liked bread and butter pudding as I've seen some great recipes, yours being no exception! My OH would really enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can this be made with another type of marmelade? I'm not a big fan of orange marmelade, but love this recipe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can this be made with another type of marmelade? I'm not a big fan of orange marmelade, but love this recipe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! Made my mouth water, pinned for hubby to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that I tend to think bread and butter pudding is not very nice...but having seen yours I may have to change my mind! It is something I must try with gluten-free bread one day...and chocolate orange sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bread and butter pudding is a firm favorite in our house. We throw all sorts of things into it: flaked almonds, marshmallow, chocolate chips. It's actually better with old bread than fresh. We've used croissants, fruit buns/bread, brioche, you name it! And as you said - it's irresistible cold too. I end up cutting myself a slice every time I fetch something from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore bread pudding, and chucking in chocolate just makes it sound even better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow this sounds amazing ! I could just imagine sitting down now with it and anice cup of tea ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious. You can't go wrong with bread and butter pudding, and adding chocolate and orange sounds a decadent touch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have only just seem this challenge, wish I had joined in now! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that looks delicious I have a big thing for Chocolate Oranges especially at Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really (really, really) love chocolate bread pudding. Never thought about adding the orange in so thank you for this great idea and recipe - which I will try really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bread pudding is stalking me! Since the morning I see pictures of bread pudding all over internet ;) It's time to make my own, yours look droolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing and worth buying bread for, rather than waiting for leftovers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! I love bread and butter pudding, and chocolate orange one sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How odd i put a comment on this a week ago but its not here so i will just say this looks amazing as always your such a great cook

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm that looks lovely, love the sound of chocolate orange :p

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMgosh it ooks so good!! I would love to make - and eat this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my YUM! This looks super tasty, another recipe for my bake days. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. MMMm this looks lush! I love chocolate, and oranges, AND bread and butter pudding - might have to give this one a try! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great way to "re-cycle" food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x