Wednesday 26 March 2014

Cheap Budget Meals - Pulled Pork Meals

One of my favourite, low cost pieces of meat is a shoulder of pork.

On our last trip to the local market to stock up on meat I bought a shoulder of pork that weighed about 3.5kg for a budgeting £12! The butcher cut the joint into three equal pieces.

The best thing about pulled pork is the amount of meat that you actually get.

From one piece weighing between 1kg and 1.5kg we have enough meat for 2 days worth of meals.

This week for my Cheap Budget Meal recipe I am going to show you what I did this week with our pulled pork.

Pulled Pork - 3 Ideas

Rosemary Pulled Pork with Potatoes and Homemade Coleslaw

Ingredients

1kg - 1.5kg shoulder of pork (£4)
Fresh rosemary
Potatoes (45p)
5 leaves of white cabbage, shredded (80p - whole cabbage)
2 carrots, grated (16p)
1 onion, sliced (16p)
Mayonnaise (50p - small jar)

Method

1 - Take the piece of meat and cut little slits along the top and sides, take the fresh rosemary and stuff it into the slits in the meat

2 - Slow cook the meat for about 8 hours

3 - To make the coleslaw mix the shredded cabbage, grated carrots and onions together

4 - Add as little or as much mayonnaise as you like

5 - Once the meat is cooked remove the meat and pour out the fatty liquid. Put he meat back in the dish or slow cooker and shred it using two forks

Serve with boiled potatoes and the homemade coleslaw.



I made this meal for £6.07 and had enough meat leftover for the following day!

Leftover Rosemary Pulled Pork Pasta

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped (16p)
4 medium mushrooms, sliced (30p)
1 garlic clove, crushed (30p - whole garlic)
1 courgette, halved and sliced (25p)
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes (40p)
1/2tsp mixed herbs
Vegetable stock cube
250g Pasta shapes (30p - 500g bag)
Grated cheese, optional

Method

1 - Fry the onion in a little oil until soft

2 - Add the courgettes, mushrooms and garlic and continue to fry until soft

3 - Add the leftover pulled pork and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the tin of chopped tomatoes, the vegetable stock cube and mixed herbs

4 - The sauce only needs cooking until it is completely heated thorough

5 - Cook the pasta as per instructions

You have got two options on how to serve.

You can either serve the pulled pork sauce on top of a bed of pasta.



Or

Mix the pulled pork sauce with the pasta, place in an oven proof dish, cover with grated cheese and have as a pasta bake.



The extra ingredients for the second days meal only cost £1.71.

In total, for two days meals, it cost me £7.78. We got 6 adult sized portions and the twins had 3 meals each!

That's a budgeting 86p per portion!

Leftovers can be used to make a new dish. Enjoying leftovers more often reduces food waste and saves you money!
 
 
I am sharing this post with Cold Tea and Smelly Nappies Thrifty Thursday check out some great money saving tips!

 
Thrifty Thursday Badge

26 comments:

  1. This recipe looks great! I've tried making pulled pork before but it turned out tough and chewy. You've inspired me to give it another go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pulled pork but haven't tried making it myself. Thanks for sharing your delicious looking meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pulled pork but I never cooked it myself! I usually have it at the Christmas market in Belfast, there is a stall that roasts a whole hog and the meat is delicious! So well done you, sounds yummy and very good for the budget too!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried pulled pork but might now, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meals that you can make last for two days!! I really need to start thinking ahead and ways to imaginatively do that, like this....thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a good recipe, and such good value!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the pulled pork on the pasta looks so good. I've never made/cooked with pulled pork before. I'm not the biggest meat eater, but I'd like to be a bit more adventurous with my meat cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pulled pork is a total winner in our house and now I have realised I can cook it in the slow cooker we have it even more often. I love using left overs to make pea and ham soup or ham fritters. It definitely is a brilliant budget meal and a little goes a long way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great recipe ideas there. I've never tried to do 'pulled' pork before - definitely something I will have to try - we like a thrifty meal or two in our house! We got some really cheap whole chickens recently and hubby worked out how to 'butcher' them so we got all the separate parts - it was much cheaper than buying them as chicken breasts/thighs etc and then we used the carcass for stock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love pulled pork here, a perfect slow cooker meal

    ReplyDelete
  11. My OH would love pulled pork, I actually don't think he has had it before. This gives me an idea for his birthday tea - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had pulled pork last night and it was delicious. Ours was shop bought though. Pinned so hubby can have a go at making our own! #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never done pulled pork before, these recipes sound lovely! Thanks for linking up to #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love pulled pork. Will look out for deal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never had pulled pork, but these look yummy especially the first. May have to drop hints to Mr Hubby who does most of the cooking x

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! Thank you for sharing these recipes - the pasta bake looks especially delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pulled pork...yummy! That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pulled pork! I will have to give these recipes a go thanks for sharing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never tried pulled pork before but these look delicious. Something I am definitely going to try

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never cooked pulled pork. Not sure why. You make it look easy. Must add it to my list. #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love pulled pork but I've never tried making it myself, I might have to this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh both those meals look absolutely divine - especially the pork. How wonderful, thank you so much for sharing. Apologies for commenting on the wrong post yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never even heard of pulled pork before, it certainly sounds a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love pulled pork, when done right this is the best food ever

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm fussy when it comes to pork, but this looks gorgeous! I love me some homemade 'slaw too so I think I will give this one a go :-)
    Love Vicky
    http://www.aroundandupsidedown.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never had pulled pork, looks good:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x