Thursday 27 February 2014

Rhubarb and Banana Crumble Cake

Last week when we went shopping we picked up some lovely rhubarb.
The hubby really wanted a crumble, however I had planned a cake. So I combined the two and came up with this great compromise!
We also had a lot of bananas that needed using.
I did a taste test of a little of the stewed rhubarb with a little mashed banana and loved the sweetness that the bananas added.

This is what I came up with...

Rhubarb and Banana Crumble Cake

Ingredients

Fruit
400g rhubarb, washed and cut into chunks
100g caster sugar
100mls water
2 ripe bananas

Cake
150g baking spread
150g golden caster sugar
175g self raising flour
3 eggs

Crumble
55g plain flour
30g butter, cubed
20g caster sugar
15g muesli

Method

Pre heat the oven to 175C

1 - Place the rhubarb in a pan with the caster sugar and water, bring to the boil and cook until the rhubarb has softened. Once the rhubarb is done remove from the heat.

2 - When the rhubarb has cooled a little place a sieve over a bowl and remove the juice from the rhubarb.

3 - For this cake I used the all in one method. Place the baking spread, sugar, flour and eggs in a bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined.

4 - Grease a square cake tin and add the cake mixture.

5 - Mash up the bananas in a bowl and add the rhubarb. Mix until both are mixed together evenly.

6 - For the crumble rub the butter in with the flour until you have a rough breadcrumb texture. Add the muesli.

7 - Layer the fruit on top of the cake mixture.

8 - Add the crumble topping.

9 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about an hour, checking regularly after 45 minutes.

10 - Once the cake is thoroughly baked leave to cool in the tin for 45 minutes before gently removing from the tin.

This cake is delicious when eaten as soon as it is out of the tin and it is still a little warm. It is even better with a serving of cream which transforms it into a warming pudding! 
Enjoy x


I have shared this recipe with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week. Check out Recipe of the Week for some delicious recipes!

Link up your recipe of the week
love seasonal food link up

34 comments:

  1. Omg I am drooling this sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a flavor combination... I like it!
    I guess bananas are offsetting the rhubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. rhubarb is one of my favourite fruits, I really love it! haven't had any for a while, I must get some! your cake looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my that looks absolutely amazing! Will definitely be giving this a go - I've pinned it for future reference!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not mad on rhubarb, but love banana cake- will be giving it a try with the crumble topping, as love crumble too! Who knows, maybe it will even convince me that rhubarb is ok after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh this sounds amazing! It's so going on my 'things to make' pinterest board :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby loves rhubarb so will have to give this one a go! Pinned to my sweet treats board!

    I recently posted: Chocolate + Peanut Ice-Cream Cake

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really gorgeous, but I don't like rhubarb... Maybe this will make me like rhubarb! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! Nom... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, looks and sounds delicious #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rhubarb. I love banana. I love crumble. I love cake. This is my idea of food heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!!! I need this cake in my life! It looks and sounds amazing!!! I need to start a Things to do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like rhubarb, but not so keen on banana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love the look of this, last year I managed to get some cheap rhubarb and I had no idea what to do with it. I made a compot in the end but this looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it that time of year already? This sounds heavenly, I'll have to look out for rhubarb and give it a try, no-one's really into it in our house but perhaps in this incarnation that might change...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love rhubarb. It reminds me of my Great Nan who used to grow it in her back garden. I miss it :( x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhubarb and Banana Crumble Cake sounds so delish! Our rhubarb isn't in season for a few months yet, but when it comes in, I am going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why have I never thought to put rhubarb and banana together? It sounds and looks delicious. I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crumble cake is my favourite ever cake! I have never thought about combining banana and rhubarb, but it sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds delicious. Love bananas, love rhubarb.So all good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds delicious! All my fave things - bananas, crumble and rhubarb, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks great and very unusual combination, bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never thought of mixing rhubarb with banana - it sounds delicious though

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks good and I love rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds delicious! We always have an excess of rhubarb in our garden in the summer so I will bookmark this recipe :-) #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with your hubby, rhubarb crumble sounds divine! Although I wouldn't say no to a chunk of what you made either :-). Happy we are paired in the same blogger group this week, hope you can see the comment now.xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. ca neve go wring with fruit and cake lovely nom nom x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love rhubarb, love crumble, love cake, this looks perfect! And warmed up with cream, that'd be seventh heaven..think I need to try this one very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow this sounds GREAT - I've never tried this combination in a cake but I'd love to now. Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek. I've Pinned and Tweeted this post and there's a fresh linky live now. You might have already popped over but if not, please do!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I take my hat off to you for creating such a novel combination. I think adding banana was a really healthy idea too as the sweetness means you wouldn't have to add so much sugar which can be one of the downsides to rhubarb. Definitely adding this to my 'must try' recipes. Thanks for joining in with #loveseasonalfood. I do hope you pop by again for another link up as I'm looking for people with a passion for cooking with seasonal food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your rhubarb & banana crumble cake looks & sounds delicious. I'm always on the look out for new recipes to try, thanks for sharing. Popping over from #LoveSeasonalFood

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the idea of a crumble cake. I'd imagine that the topping gives it a lovely crunch. Personally I'd go for it warm with some vanilla Icecream.

    #loveseasonalfood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x