Wednesday 27 November 2013

Settling Ginger Tea Loaf

This is a loaf that started off as a bara brith but thanks to all of my twists it turned into a different bake altogether!
My hubby unfortunately suffers with bad acid reflux and heartburn. He has found that ginger can help his stomach to settle so I decided to bake him something which would help but would also be tasty!
I know that he loves bara brith so I tried to model this bake on that.
This is what I came up with...

Settling Ginger Tea Loaf

Ingredients

180mls strong ginger tea
225g mixed dried fruit with candied peel
200g self raising flour
25g wholemeal self raising flour
150g light muscovado sugar
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
A piece of root ginger grated
1 egg

Method

1 - Soak the dried fruit in the ginger tea and leave preferably over night or at least a couple of hours.

Pre heat the oven to 180C

2 - Once the dried fruit has plumped up place it in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and grate in some ginger this can be adjusted to taste, I grated in a piece that was approximately 5cms long.

3 - Beat the egg and add to the fruit mix and combine together.

4 - Sift in the flour and mix.

5 - Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and add the mixture.

6 - Place in the oven for 45 - 60 minutes. Check after 30 minutes as I found out on my first attempt that this bake will get brown quite quickly and if you do not keep a close eye on it it'll burn. When you check on it if it is a good brown colour cover it over with foil and continue to cook until a knife comes out clean when placed through the middle.

7 - Once cooked remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooking rack.

This is an easy fruit loaf that is not only delicious but is also settling on the stomach.
It has been a real hit in our household and hubby has had to share it with me and the twins!
I have really enjoyed a mid morning break once the twins are asleep with a fresh cup of coffee and a couple of slices with a little butter.
Enjoy x


The Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Helen and Jenny at:


 
 
Also shared on
 
Link up your recipe of the week


4 comments:

  1. oh my Kirsty this looks divine! i have not tried bara brith but i know i would like it as i love fruit loaf especially with a cup of tea, yummy and i like the addition of ginger x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have baked so much! another great bake here, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely - texture looks perfect. Thanks for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I’ve Pinned and am about to Tweet this post and there’s a new linky live at 8pm tonight as usual. Would love you to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can the muscovado sugar be replaced with a healthier alternative?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x