Saturday 12 October 2013

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Week 8 Spelt Pesto Pinwheel Loaf

This week has been, yet another, challenge.
I love making bread and make it various times a week but I have only ever used your average run of the mill flour, white, brown, wholemeal, seeded or used rye as an addition.
I have never used a gluten free flour.
This week I have used a spelt flour for my bread.
I found that I needed to spend a little more time kneading my dough until it had the smooth, elasticated feel to it. But it was a lovely dough to handle and enjoyed kneading it. I have, what some may seem, a strange fascination with the transformation of the basic ingredients into dough. I love working it with my hands and feeling the change and get a lot of satisfaction from working it with my hands.
Anyway, this is what I came up with.

Spelt Pesto Pinwheel Loaf

Ingredients

500g spelt flour
7g yeast
10g fine salt
A glug of olive oil (approx 1 tbsp)
1tbsp honey
300mls warm water
3 - 4 tspn green pesto
Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese, grated and mixed together
Prosciutto ham

Method

1 - Place the flour in a large mixing bowl
2 - Place the salt on one side and add the yeast to the other
3 - Add the olive oil, the honey and the water
4 - Combine all of the ingredients together and mix until you have a rough dough
5 - Take the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floored top. Knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and has elasticity
6 - Place in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to prove until at least doubled in size
7 - Once the dough has proved place on a lightly floured top and knock the air out
8 - Next, roll the dough out onto a rectangular shape which is roughly the same size as your tin. If you have small loaf tins you'll have enough dough to make 2

 
9 - Spoon the Pesto onto the dough and spread out evenly. Leave an edge with no pesto
10 - Sprinkle over the mixed cheeses
11 - Lay on the Prosciutto ham


12 - Now, beginning at the edge with the pesto on, roll the dough up, use the side with no filling on to seal
13 - Seal the ends by folding them down towards the seal. This will be the base of the bread


14 - Roll the loaf in some spelt flour to coat and then place, seam down, in a loaf tin lined with baking paper and leave to prove for about an hour


15 - Heat your oven to 180C
16 - Once the loaf has proved place in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes or until brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom

This bread is delicious eaten when warm!
Enjoy x
 

 
 
 
The Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by:


 
 

5 comments:

  1. ooooh this sounds nice what a tasty mix of ingredients. It would be great for a picnic.
    well done for using spelt flour and thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was really tasty - anything with cheese & pesto is a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks gorgeous and such a great way to make quick things for lunch boxes :) - at least after you've spent all the time making it, but I always find bread making relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, you should add it to this link up too: http://bakersanonymous.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x